NUTTY CHOPPED KALE SALAD WITH DATES AND PARMESAN
Greetings and thanks so much for stopping in today! For about 4 years now I’ve been making a Nutty Chopped Kale Salad with Dates and Parmesan to great acclaim. How do I know I’ve been making it for 4 years? Well, because I got the original recipe from Self Magazine in their December 2012 issue. But as always, I ended up modifying the recipe to suit my taste. It’s a go-to recipe that my family and friends love, and it’s packed with lots of healthy goodness also. I served it at the recent dinner party I shared in this post. I know that kale has been done and done and done and for some it may have gotten old, but for me this recipe is a keeper! So, let me show you how to prepare my Nutty Chopped Kale Salad with Dates and Parmesan.
I begin by making the dressing in a mason jar. It’s a handy dandy vessel in which you can both prepare the dressing, store it until you need it, and shake it up before serving. So get yourself a jar and let’s make this.
Place a small strainer on top of your jar and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the jar.
Then add 1 tablespoon of finely minced shallots…
1 teaspoon of honey…
1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt, 1/8th teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper & 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
Close the jar and shake it all up. You are now done with the salad dressing so set it aside until later.
Next, coarsely chop 1/2 cup salted, dry roasted almonds. I like the Kirkland Brand from Costco.
Now dice 10 pitted dates. I use Majoral dates.
Using a peeler, prepare about 10 thinly shaved slices of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Finally, remove any large stems and then chop up 1 1/2 lbs baby kale.
About 20 minutes before you plan to serve the salad shake up the dressing. Then toss the kale with the dressing and let it sit for 20 minutes to absorb all that wonderful dressing goodness. Just before serving add the chopped dates and nuts and toss the salad again. Garnish with the shaved parmesan and serve to your happy dinner guests. And, if you happen to have any leftovers (I doubt you will), this salad is one of the few salads that actually tastes good the following day.
Here’s the printable recipe…
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Minced Shallots
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅛th Teaspoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Salted, Dry Roasted Almonds, Coarsely Chopped
- 10 Pitted Dates, Minced
- 1½ lbs Baby Kale, Large Stems Removed, Finely Chopped
- 10 Pieces Parmigiano Reggiano, Thinly Shaved
- Place a small strainer on top of a jar and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the jar.
- Then add the shallots, honey, Kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and olive oil to the jar.
- Shake it all up rigorously and set it aside.
- About 20 minutes before you plan to serve the salad shake up the dressing.
- Toss the kale with the dressing and let it sit for 20 minutes to absorb all that wonderful dressing goodness.
- Just before serving add the chopped dates and nuts and toss the salad again.
- Garnish with the shaved parmesan and serve to your happy dinner guests.
So there you have it: NUTTY CHOPPED KALE SALAD WITH DATES AND PARMESAN
Thanks so much for dropping in!
No blog post is truly complete without a word from you. I’d be so delighted if you’d leave a comment below.
All opinions expressed in this post are my own. All photos are the original property of Celia Becker @ www.AfterOrangeCounty.com and may not be reproduced without specific permission. This post contains affiliate links that help to make this blog possible.